Friday, June 6, 2014

RSS...

RSS or Real Simple Syndication is an ingenious way to make the information you care about come to you! No more searching multiple web sites, blogs, and social networks. With RSS you can make the feeds you care about (all of them) come directly into your compiled reader.

My experience setting up my RSS feed reader was rather simple. I must admit that I had done this before, but unfortunately it was using Google Reader which no longer exists. I decided upon recommendation and review to utilize Bloglines to setup my RSS feed. It was really simple to navigate and utilize this feed reader. I also liked the way you could choose between layouts, designs, and multiple gadgets in which you could easily add to the reader.

I have in fact used a RSS feed reader in my classroom in the past. Before Google Reader was disbarred, I created a reader account just for my business law class. I complied multiple legal news sources and blogs in which the students could go to for research. I found this was an easy way to ensure that students were choosing reputable web sites for case reviews and quarterly article reviews. I think students also liked that it took some of the pressure off of their research.

This lesson/activity supports the Common Core and will meet one or more of the NETS-S.
Common Core
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.11-12.2
Determine two or more central ideas of a text and analyze their development over the course of the text, including how they interact and build on one another to provide a complex analysis; provide an objective summary of the text.

NETS-S
3.  Research and Information Fluency: Students apply digital tools to gather, evaluate, and use information.
b. locate, organize, analyze, evaluate, synthesize, and ethically use information from a variety of sources of media.



No comments:

Post a Comment